Friday, March 21, 2008

The Challenges of Motherhood


It’s funny but I have run a successful business for 15 years, but have never found myself presented with anything quite as challenging as motherhood. Never before have I fretted as much whether or not I was doing the right thing. I also have never been so acutely aware of my actions having such lasting effects. I heard that for some becoming parents can hurt their relationships with their own, but for me, it has made me appreciate my parents so much more fully. I now can see the sacrifices they made firsthand. I would characterize myself as the more laid back type, but it amazing how much more paranoid I have become regarding my 11 month old twins. It is so easy for me to fall into the trap of making sure they are in the right classes, that they are developing in the appropriate manner, eating the right foods ( I feed them better than myself), and it is a constant struggle for me to just chill out. I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that I am also working 3 days a week. When I am at home with them I get completely exhausted and actually welcome my job as a break (I am imagining some of you are a bit horrified at my saying this), but when I am at work, I miss them and start feeling a bit guilty. I can only imagine it getting more difficult once they have a voice.
I am trying so hard to be a super mom, employer, friend and wife that I never have time for myself. Something has got to give! Are any of you experiencing the same things? I would love to get ideas on how you are coping.


Contributed by Kristy P.

No comments: