Monday, March 17, 2008

Baby Dreams


Already a mother of three young boys and not remotely pregnant, I am surprised that I have had two very vivid baby dreams. In one dream I even saw the outline of a baby's hand pushing the skin of my belly outward. I don't' have any desire to have another baby, yet apparently my mind or body would like to.

Is it possible the dreams are psychological and I am struggling with the fact the the babies are growing up? Or maybe I am feeling torn between two worlds, compelled by the idea of heading back to work. The dreams could be a warning. My body might be telling me... this is your last chance, your not getting any younger. If that is the case, I resent physiology for trying to influence my mind.

I looked up pregnancy dreams on Dreammoods.com and this is what it said:

To dream that you are pregnant, symbolizes an aspect of yourself or some aspect of your personal life that is growing and developing. You may not be ready to talk about it or act on it. This may also represent the birth of a new idea, direction, project or goal.


I appreciate that this interpretation treats pregnancy as a symbol for something other than a baby, I have already had my share of those around here.

Maybe the search for the meaning of these dreams will lead to something inspirational, rather than an serving as an omen. It will be interesting to find out...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Maria, maybe something made you realize that your babies aren't babies anymore. :) I loved reading it.

Sarah said...

What an interesting and thoughtful post! And, congrats on starting the new blog. I'll be reading!

hottyson said...

I think that it means that you will soon be visited by aliens. Lock the door!

Jenne said...

I recently had a pregnancy/birth dream too. I even knew the time, gestational age, name and weight of the baby, but no date. It was no surprise though, because I KNOW I want to be pregnant, and soon too!