Thursday, April 10, 2008

Fun with Food- a retrospective

Mealtimes are something that I never thought much about when I thought about what being a parent was going to be like. What I never considered was just how often infants and toddlers eat. My son and I have a lot of fun in the kitchen. He helps me cook, he sneaks bites of cheese, he tries to bite holes in the middle of the bread that I am trying to use to make his PBJ. It is a happy place. I hope that he remembers all the fun we had someday.

Here are some of our funniest food moments so far:

1. During the early days of learning to use a spoon, my little guy would cover himself in yogurt at lunch. The best time, I stripped him down to his diaper so that I could more easily hose him down. He was so covered in yogurt that it was even under his arm pits. You just can't have more fun than that at a meal.

2. When learning to use a cup without a lid my husband said, "Wow, those lids aren't just for keeping stuff in the cup. They keep stuff out too." While the little guy started dipping kidney beans that he had pulled out of his chili in his milk. (He then drank his "chili-milk" before we could stop him). He went on to dip many things in his milk including: eggs, grapes, chicken, and oranges.

3. The first time that the little guy realized he could open his PBJ and try to eat out the Peanut butter and Jelly without eating the bread. That was a fun mess.

4. His excitement when I showed him how to snap asparagus and throw them in a pot. Not to messy, but super fun!

I hope that toddlers everywhere are having so much fun with their food!

Patricia

No comments: